Ever had a bad hair day?
Well we all have been through it.
What about smelly hair?
That’s the problem most of us face now and don’t know what to do about it?
Well not a problem anymore, we are here to help you get through it. Follow our tips and rock your healthy gorgeous locks once again!
Smelly Hair; the most obvious explanation for it is lazy hygiene. The skin on your scalp is just like the skin on your body. So scalp odor could be a result of not washing your hair regularly. The scalp has sweat and oil glands too and if you don’t wash your hair to often the sweat and oil gets build up. Once the bacteria starts breaking down it causes a bad stench. Not shampooing regularly is not the only reason. Other reasons for hair odor are pollution, fungal infection, sweat, hormonal disorder, etc.
- Smelly Hair Syndrome: – If your hair starts to smell just within few hours of washing it, you might have ‘smelly hair syndrome’. It is condition that leaves a terrible strong odor from scalp.
- Not Washing Enough: – As mentioned earlier, not washing your hair regularly builds up sweat and oil on your scalp. The naturally occurring bacteria on your scalp start to react with the air and oil and begin to spoil the scalp leaving behind a strong bad smell.
- Over-washing: – Washing too much is also a problem. Washing your hair too much can remove the natural oil from your scalp making hair dry prone to dandruffs and bad odor.
- Pollution: – The pollutants in the air get mix up with the oils and sebum on the scalp and emit a pungent smell.
- Sweat: – Sweat cause body odor and also hair odor. Working out too much and not washing your hair, makes your scalp sweaty and smelly.
- Hormonal Imbalance and Stress: – Stress and anxiety can disrupt hormonal functions which can lead to excess oil production and scalp irritation.
- Wearing Hats and Scarfs for too long: – Wearing a hat or scarf is important to protect your hair from damage when out in the sun or in a polluted environment. But wearing it for a very long time also damages your scalp. Wearing a hat for longer periods increases the temperature and cause sweat on your scalp and hair leading to smelly hair.
- Diet: – Some food items don’t mix with the diet well and their scent can seep out of pores. Foods having strong odors such as onion and garlic contain oils that can be excreted through skin, including the scalp skin.
- Skin Conditions: – Skin Conditions like dandruffs, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, fungal infections and allergic contact dermatitis can lead to smelly scalp and heir. Dandruffs are caused due to excess dead skin on the scalp. Dandruff causes an irritated scalp which is a breeding ground for bacteria hence causing odor.
- Wrong Hair Products: – The chemicals in the hair products affect the natural oil balance in the scalp and hair and messes with it leading to bad odor.
- Washing with Hot Water: – It is always advised to wash your hair with cold water because hot water damages the hair health. Washing the hair with hot water removes the natural oils from your hair disturbing the oil balance. Lack of oil signals the skin to produce more oil which can lead to smelly scalp.
Here are a few tips to avoid smelly hair: –
- Use alcohol based shampoo or simply rinse your hair with alcohol.
- Use shampoos that are sulfate free.
- Use anti dandruff shampoo in case of dandruffs.
- Protect your hair from sun and pollution damage by wearing hats or scarfs.
- Resist from scratching your scalp.
- Follow a good diet
- Do yoga or other activities to manage stress.
- Follow a healthy washing routine like washing hair every alternate day or washing your hair at least thrice a week.
What to do if you have a smelly scalp? How to get rid of the smell?
Don’t worry we have got you covered. We at Naturals by Skas have listed down the ways by which you can get rid of that awful smell from your hair.
- Hair Care Products: – Using hair products that suit your hair type reduces the chances of smelly hair. Follow this basic step- wash, condition, de-tangle, protect and style your hair. Follow a good hair cleansing schedule like washing your hair every alternate day or thrice a week. Oiling is also beneficial to improve hair health.
- Medicated or Prescribed Shampoos: – Consult an expert or a doctor for a better suggestion. Use the shampoo prescribed depending on your hair type.
- Natural Remedies: –
- Lemon juice: – lemon has anti-bacterial properties. Its helps to remove dandruff. It leaves a fresh citrusy smell on your scalp.
Add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of warm water and pour it to your scalp after shampoo. Rinse your hair with cold water after few minutes.
- Aloe-vera: – Aloe-vera has medicinal properties. It soothes the scalp, removes the excess heat and keeps the scalp cool. It helps to restore the natural oil balance in the scalp and improve the hair texture.
Apply the aloe-vera gel on your scalp. Let it sit for half an hour or one hour and the wash your hair with sulfate free shampoo.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: – Apple cider vinegar has tons of benefits one of them being improving hair conditions. It fights the bacteria on the scalp and gives a shiny appearance to the hair.
Mix 3-4 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in half mug water, pour it over your scalp after shampoo. Rinse your hair with cold water after 5 minutes.
- Essential oil like lavender oil has antiseptic properties that fight fungal infections, bacteria and other microbes causing hair odor.it also moisturizes and improves the blood circulation in the scalp which leads to hair growth.
Add 3 drops off lavender essential oil to your regular hair oil and apply it your scalp; leave it overnight or for a few hours and then wash your hair with sulfate free shampoo.
- Tea Tree Oil: – Tea tree oil helps reduce dandruff and smelly scalp.it keeps the odor at bay.
Add 2-3 drops of tea tress oil to warm water; pour it on your scalp. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash your hair with sulfate free shampoo.
You’ll find numerous best beauty products online including hair care products. If you want to know more on how to improve your hair health you can contactNaturals by Skas. We deal with ayurvedic health care and personal care products. To learn more Click Here.